Monday 11 April 2016

Two new Rhinocypha species from Cat Tien National Park

Today I received a message from James Holden. He had done some deep exploring into the forests of Cat Tien National Park and although it had been excruciating, he also came up with some goodies! Two photos of Rhinocypha species he sent could readily be identified as two species that I wished I had seen. Both are apparently rare. R. fulgipennis is easily confused with immature R. fenestrella, but the colour of the wing is different. R. seducta shares dark-tipped wings with R. watsoni, but has broad orange red dorsal stripes on the thorax. I tip my hat to James for finding these cool species!

Male Rhinocypha fulgipennis, courtesy of James Holden

Brilliant Rhinocypha seducta, courtesy of James Holden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.