Tuesday 28 April 2015

Sinictinogomphus clavatus - both sexes

Sinictinogomphus clavatus is a common and widespread species in Vietnam, that occurs at ponds, reservoirs and slow streams. In can be found even in Hanoi, irrespective of the water quality. Clearly it is a very tolerant species. It seems to appear before Ictinogomphus pertinax, from which it can be easily separated by its yellow tibia and yellow-centered flanges. On April 5 I encountered it already on various locations in Bac Kan and Cao Bang Provinces. (The last record of last year was on September 6.) On April 5 I caught a tandem in flight trying to find a place to oviposit at a freshly inundated rice field in the mountains. Apparently by then they were already fully mature. As I do not have that many photos of females, I reproduce both the male and female here.

Female of Sinictinogomphus clavatus, very similar to the male. Of course no anal triangle in the hindwing and different appendages.

The male, somewhat reduced yellow on the abdomen. but as usual in gomphids rather similar to the female. Note the extended penile organ. I apologize for the coitus interruptus. Although released after I took the photos, I doubt they resumed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.