Thursday 12 June 2014

Tetrathemis platyptera and Rhinagrion hainanense

On June 8 I was oding in Xuan Son. On the verge of the reserve I first visited the large stream and in some ponds bordering it I found a small dragonfly I had been looking for for quite some time. Last year in Ba Be I saw it from the corner of my eye, but although Sebastien saw them several times at Xuan Son (see his blog), I missed out. But there it was. And although I could only get some shots from a distance, I was happy.

Later, inside the reserve, I twice bumped into beautiful Rhinagrion hainanense. First a fresh female, just emerged from the stream along the dam and later a male along one of the minor streams flanking the large stream with the bridges. I featured it before in the blog, but this is a species you can never see enough of.
Cute, small, Tetrathemis platyptera, male. Yes, I know, calling a dragonfly cute is degrading to the insect, but hey, it is pretty.
Freshly emerged Rhinagrion hainanense, female

And yet another handsome fella. Rhinagrion hainanense, male

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.