Sunday 10 November 2013

Neurothemis tullia, N. fulvia, and N. intermedia

It is autumn in Hanoi, typhoon Haiyan is bringing lots of rain and wind. I just returned from a 10 day trip to the Netherlands, hence the silence on the blog and even if I still saw Brachythemis contaminata outside our window today, there is not a lot going on in Odonate country close to home. But there are still some loose ends to tie up and one is the Neurothemis genus. And it is a good thing I started doing that today, because checking the genus I remembered an odd unidentified female libellulid I saw at Cuc Phuong late July and now finally clinched the ID, Neurothemis intermedia!

There are 4 Neurothemis species that have been recorded in Vietnam according to the synopsis by Do Manh Cuong. There is N. fluctuans, recorded in southern Vietnam, and N. fulvia, N. tullia and N. intermedia, all three recorded both in the north and in the south. I have only seen intermedia once, in Cuc Phuong, Ninh Binh Province, and N. fulvia was very very common around Ba Be, in rice paddies, but otherwise I have seen it only once at Tam Dao National Park and once at Cuc Phuong, all in July and August, although that may be more due to the fact that I visited Ba Be in July than that it is restricted to those months. And N. tullia, which apparently is a very common species in for instance Thailand, I saw only in Van Long Nature Reserve, although there is was common where it occurred, which was in grassy shallow pools. These are attractive libellulids, with colorful wings.

I admit, the photos are not the best. I promise to do better next time I run into them.

Neurothemis fulvia, male, basking in the summer sun
Another male N. fulvia at Ba Be

Neurothemis tullia, female, with a striking wing pattern, not easy to overlook

Neurothemis tullia, male, likewise, at Van Long Nature Reserve 

Female Neurothemis intermedia, with striking abdominal lines, but no obvious wing markings. Hope to see a male soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.